Sea eel, 1,5 kg
Extra virgin olive oil, q.s.
Carrot, 1 big
Garlic, 2 cloves
- Wash the eel very carefully, remove the entrails and gills, cut it into pieces without removing the skin, then flour it.
- Heat up abundant oil in a pan. Add the pieces of the eels when the oil is boiling. Cook them, turning them over very frequently.
- When well cooked, drip them and put them in a bowl.
- Mix some chopped onions, carrot, garlic and sage in a bowl. Add some oil.
- Brow everything for some minutes, then sprinkle some pepper on it.
- Add the pieces of the eel and brown them for about 5 minutes, after salting them properly.
- Pour some wine and add the tomato sauce prepared before.
- Cook for 15 minutes at moderate heat, stirring from time to time.
The best match for the stewed eel is white polenta, a delicious specialty of Venetian cuisine.
The eel is a well-known fish throughout the whole Mediterranean. Given its resemblance to the snake, by the ancients eating the eel was considered a way to propitiate the new year and to drive away the bad luck.