The Venetian gastronomy is made by flavors of sky, water and earth. These elements, in fact, provide all the basic resources that guarantee to lagoon cuisine a great variety of specialties.
The sea and the rivers offer fish and shellfish; the earth, vegetables, corn which to prepare, for example, an excellent polenta, and meat; the sky, game. And then, there are the spices that give to local dishes a touch of sophistication. These were imported over the centuries by merchants and emissaries of the Serenissima, to return from their travels.
Meatballs in sauce: a humble recipe
The meatballs are not a refined dish. In the world “meatballs”, in fact, you can read their humble beginnings, made by meat, cold cuts and cheeses scraps that our grandfather used to reuse leftover food, because the common sense was not allowed to throw it away. However, as happened to many of the so-called “poor food” of traditional Italian cuisine, the meatballs, today, are gourmet dishes, prepared with delicious ingredients that satisfy every taste and culinary need, and are so good as to be always exposed among the bàcari counters. But the recipe, fortunately, is not much different from the traditional one, so, below, we present the meatballs in sauce with polenta and recommended to serve them with a glass of red wine.
Recipe to make 12 meatballs
• 650 grams of lean ground beef
• 120 of cured meats like ham or mortadella
• 2 spoons of grated Parmesan cheese
• 1 egg
• 2 slices of bread soaked in water
• 1 clove of garlic
• 1 teaspoon of nutmeg
• Chopped parsley q.s.
• 1 onion
• 800 grams of peeled tomatoes or tomato puree
• Extra virgin oil q.s.
• Salt q.s.
Instant polenta: preparation
1. In a bowl, mix the meat, egg, nutmeg, Parmesan, two pinches of salt, bread, cured meats, parsley and garlic.
2. With this mixture, make 12 small balls.
3. Fry the onion, add the tomatoes or tomato puree and salt.
4. When the sauce begins to boil, put in it the meatballs and after 6-7 minutes, turn them gently.
5. Continue to cook over medium heat per 20-25 minutes.
6. Prepare the instant polenta
Serve them with a good rosé wine.
A delicious recipe, do not think you too?